Lung cancer is the deadliest cancer in the United States, accounting for 30 percent of all cancer deaths. It also has a five-year survival rate of less than 16 percent, significantly lower than the survival rate for other common cancers.
With a recent recommendation from the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force and National Comprehensive Cancer Network, we offer current and former smokers meeting certain criteria annual CT scans, determined to be an effective tool in discovering cancer at an earlier stage. Through early detection, you could benefit from improved treatment options and better outcomes.
It is recommended that you meet the following criteria to qualify for a screening:
- Be between the ages of 55 and 80
- Currently smoke or have quit within the past 15 years
- Have a 30 pack-year history of smoking (a pack-year is defined as the number of packs of cigarettes you smoke per day times the number of years you have smoked)
CT scans are endorsed by the American Medical Association, American College of Chest Physicians, American Thoracic Society, American Lung Association, American Cancer Society and Lung Cancer Alliance. Many insurance plans, including Medicare, now cover these screenings.Why Choose Sharp for a Lung Cancer Screening?
- Experienced team of radiologists, radiographers and additional staff work together to give you a five-star experience with timely scheduling, the latest imaging techniques and prompt reporting of results
- Sharp's acute care hospitals provide a comprehensive arrange of treatment modalities for lung cancer, at our locations in Southern, Eastern and Central San Diego County
To Schedule a Screening
If you or a loved one meet the above criteria and are interested in scheduling a screening, please talk to your doctor about a referral to one of our locations. Please note that not all insurance plans cover this screening at this time. To determine eligibility, please contact your insurance provider.
CT Screening Locations
Sharp has CT technology at the following centers in San Diego.
Locations for Lung Cancer Treatment
The following Sharp acute care hospitals provide a comprehensive range of treatment modalities for lung cancer.
Find a San Diego Oncologist
To find a Sharp-affiliated doctor, search for a San Diego oncologist or call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277), Monday through Friday, 8 am to 6 pm.