Helping Patients and Their Families
Sharp HealthCare offers a comprehensive range of support services to help patients and their families manage their cancer and treatment.
- Complementary therapies such as pet therapy, therapeutic touch, music therapy, relaxation, meditation, hypnosis, journaling, guided imagery and healing touch
- Counseling for individuals, couples, families, groups and children
- Patient navigator programs for breast cancer patients
- Psychosocial assessments to help customize care for patients and their families
- Resources, referrals and education — we can help with connections to community agencies and programs like the American Cancer Society and the Susan G. Komen Foundation and can offer educational presentations for patients and families
- What to expect — support groups, what to expect after the loss of a loved one and services available
In addition, Sharp offers the following support groups for patients with cancer, their friends and family members.
- Breast Cancer Support Groups
Free support groups for women with breast cancer. At these groups, women can share their concerns and experiences of living with breast cancer and exchange ideas to discover new coping strategies. Breast cancer support groups are offered at Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center, Sharp Grossmont Hospital and Sharp Memorial Outpatient Pavilion.
- Friends and Family Support Group
Free support group for family and friends of cancer patients to share experiences and information with each other.
- Spanish Breast Cancer Support Group
A weekly support group at Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center for Spanish-speaking women who have or have had breast cancer. Group members gather to share their experiences, learn coping techniques and find emotional support through others.
- Stage IV Cancer Support Group
Free monthly support group for patients with a stage-IV cancer diagnosis to share experiences and information with one another.
- Survivor Support Group
Free monthly group provides support for cancer survivors who have completed treatment and are moving forward with life.
- Young Survivor Support Group
Support and socialization for patients in their 20s, 30s and early 40s with any type of cancer diagnosis.
Find a San Diego Oncologist
To find a Sharp-affiliated doctor, search for a San Diego oncologist or call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277), Monday through Friday, 8 am to 6 pm.