Making a Difference in the South Bay Since 1966
Music therapy volunteers serenade patients and staff.
The Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center Auxiliary has actively provided volunteer service to the hospital for nearly 50 years. Founded in 1966 to support the Community Hospital of Chula Vista (now Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center), the Auxiliary moved with the hospital to Medical Center Court in 1975. With more than 300 men, women and student volunteers, the Auxiliary contributes 50,000 hours of service to the hospital and surrounding communities each year.
The continuing purpose of the Auxiliary Volunteer Program is to render service to the hospital and its patients through volunteer opportunities, promotion of the health and welfare of the community and fundraising. To accomplish this, we rely on volunteers with a diverse range of skills and experience. We work hard to match the interests of our volunteers with the needs of the hospital. Our volunteers fulfill important roles, including:
- Assisting staff throughout the hospital campus, including all patient floors,
Birch Patrick Convalescent Center and
Douglas & Nancy Barnhart Cancer Center
- Greeting and escorting patients and visitors
- Helping raise funds to support hospital programs and services
- Patient support through integrative services
- Providing clerical support to hospital departments
- Running errands for hospital departments
- Staffing a campus shuttle for patients, visitors and employees
- Staffing the Sharp Chula Vista Auxiliary's gift shop
- Visiting patients as part of our pet and clown therapy programs
Volunteers Bobbie Snider and Frank Morales assist at the reception desk.
Volunteering is a wonderful way to give back to the community, meet new people and make an important difference. Other benefits of volunteering at Sharp Chula Vista include:
- Career exploration for high school students
- Discounts at Sharp hospital pharmacies
- $6 meal voucher while on duty
- Group discounts to area attractions and events
- Leadership-building opportunities
- Scholarship opportunities for college students
- Social events
- Use of hospital medical library
Sharp Chula Vista Volunteer Stories
Read about some of Sharp Chula Vista's volunteers and learn about their experiences.
For More Information
To learn more about becoming a volunteer at Sharp Chula Vista, please select one of the following links:
To learn about specific volunteer positions available at Sharp Chula Vista, please visit