- Find a Doctor
- Medical Services
- Patients & Visitors
- Classes & Events
- Health Library
- Why Choose Sharp?
Sharp Coronado dietitians are available to help you reach and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Your Personal Health and Fitness Plan includes metabolic rate testing, an individual nutrition plan and personal fitness training.
Testing for Resting Metabolism Rate
Individual metabolism is important when managing weight and nutrition. At Sharp Coronado Hospital, a revolutionary handheld medical device is used to determine metabolism and is changing the way individuals successfully manage their nutrition, weight and fitness.
The device scientifically measures oxygen consumption and determines a person's resting metabolic rate, or RMR. Resting metabolism accounts for up to 75 percent of the calories people use each day. The other 25 percent of calories used are the result of daily activity.
By determining your RMR, we can better understand your unique metabolism and help you to have control over nutrition, weight and general fitness without estimating caloric needs. The test entails using a mouthpiece to breath into the device for about 10 minutes. The device accurately measures volume of oxygen consumed (V02) to determine RMR. During the test, you will be required to breathe through your mouth wearing a nose clip.
Individual Nutrition Plan
After the RMR reading is determined and explained, a registered dietitian will work to develop a weight and nutrition management program for your specific needs.
The session involves reviewing current eating habits and lifestyle factors to customize the nutrition plan. Nutrition and weight goals are discussed and planned to improve each individual’s current nutrition condition.
Personalized Fitness Training
Successful weight management involves the appropriate level of fitness. Each program participant will have a session with a personal trainer. The session involves strength training to increase muscle mass, flexibility to improve posture and muscle efficiency, and aerobic exercise recommendations to assist with fat loss and cardiovascular endurance.
Each participant will receive a detailed fitness card with everything discussed, including machine settings and starting weights, providing the individual with a complete starting program catered to their individual goals.
For More Information
Program cost is $185. If you are interested in scheduling a personalized health and fitness plan, call 1-800-82-SHARP for more information.