With clinical excellence and the most advanced technology, Sharp Grossmont Hospital's Women's Health Center includes a compassionate team of specialized physicians, nurses and support staff — all dedicated to providing the extraordinary level of care that we call The Sharp Experience.
A Family-Centered Approach to Caring for Mothers and Newborns
The Women's Health Center provides a full range of services to mothers from pregnancy, delivery and beyond.
- Family-friendly policies — Recognizing the important role of your family when you're expecting a baby, we welcome up to six loved ones in the birthing suite to provide support during labor; three loved ones are invited to stay during delivery. Visiting hours are from 9 am to 9 pm, and one loved one may stay overnight.
- Personalized care for mothers — We embrace a variety of natural birthing options for delivery, taking your preferences and concerns into account throughout your journey.
- Private mother/baby couplet suites — We know how valuable bonding with your new baby will be. For your comfort, you will both remain in the same room throughout your hospital stay.
- Program to promote exclusive breastfeeding and skin-to-skin time between mother and baby — Our on-site certified lactation consultant provides one-on-one assistance, seven days a week, throughout your hospital stay.
Additional Services and Programs:
- 24-bed level III neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) allows for specialized stabilization and management of high-risk and premature infants; recently expanded services include medical management of infants requiring ventilator support
- Breastfeeding support groups for mothers up to a year after the baby is born, designed to enhance breastfeeding success rates
- Comprehensive inpatient and outpatient perinatal services for high-risk pregnancies, including multiple births, young or advanced maternal age or mothers with preexisting health conditions
- Cord blood banking — Sharp HealthCare has partnered with StemCyte, the leader in cord blood collection and banking, to provide this important service to parents
- Jaundice and hearing screenings to all newborns delivered at the Center; audiology services available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Pediatrics unit — Sharp Grossmont Hospital has partnered with Rady Children's Hospital San Diego
- Prenatal clinic — Staffed by certified nurse midwives and nurse practitioners, our clinic is a licensed Comprehensive Perinatal Service Provider (CPSP) for MediCal- or Medicaid-eligible patients
- State-of-the-art infant security, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Vaginal birth after Cesarean (VBAC)
Comprehensive Gynecologic and Women's Reproductive Services
Sharp Grossmont Hospital offers minimally invasive treatments for women of all ages through its laparoscopic and advanced robotic surgery programs. These options require only small incisions, resulting in less pain and scarring, and quicker recovery times than traditional methods.
We provide specialized care for women who need a hysterectomy or treatment for various gynecologic conditions, including:
- Gynecologic or reproductive cancer
- Uterine bleeding
Our physicians will discuss your options and work with you to create a treatment plan that meets your needs and expectations.
Ongoing Classes and Women's Health Education
Taking care of your own health is important so that you are able to care for the ones you love. Our educational classes and events cover a wide variety of topics, from parenting and childbirth, to women's health and wellness.
Ongoing Childbirth and Infant Care Classes
Free Support Groups
For More Women's Health Information
To learn more about Sharp’s programs for women’s health, visit Women’s Care. To find a Sharp-affiliated physician, search for a San Diego OBGYN or call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277), Monday through Friday, 8 am to 6 pm.