Classes and Events
IABC Basics Class
This course is designed to prepare the nurse to provide nursing care to the patient with a Datascope intra-aortic balloon pump. Participants should have experience with hemodynamic monitoring.
All nurses are welcome to attend a class at any of the locations. IABC concepts and pumps are the same at all locations.
Upon completion of this class, the participant will be able to:
- Correlate the anatomy and physiology associated with the cardiac cycle to an arterial pressure waveform
- Define two physiological effects achieved by the mechanics of inflation and deflation of the IABP
- Delineate major complications associated with IABP therapy
- Demonstrate proper set up of the Datascope IABP and initiation of pumping
- Describe the nursing care for patients requiring IABP support
- Discuss the consequences of improper IABP timing
- Identify four indications and three contraindications for IABP therapy
- Troubleshoot commonly encountered alarm/trigger/timing conditions for the Datascope IABP