This half-day seminar is for Sharp Mesa Vista and Sharp McDonald Center employees only. It reinforces crisis prevention and emphasizes early intervention and non-physical methods for preventing or managing disruptive behavior, including CPI's Personal Safety Techniques.
This course is a refresher for nursing personnel who have completed the one-day CPI course. It also serves as initial instruction to non-nursing personnel, including social workers, psychologists and therapists, who have regular contact with patients.
• Identify the behavior levels that contribute to the development of a crisis and choose an appropriate staff intervention for each level
• Identify useful non-verbal techniques which can help prevent acting-out behavior
• Use verbal techniques to de-escalate behavior
• Demonstrate CPI’s Principles of Personal Safety to avoid injury if behavior escalates to a physical level
• Provide for the Care, Welfare, Safety and Security of all those who are involved in a crisis situation
• Understand and develop team intervention strategies and techniques
• Recognize the importance of staff attitudes and professionalism in responding effectively to those in your charge
• Demonstrate physical control and restraint positions to be implemented when physical control is necessary as a last resort due to an individual’s dangerous behavior
• Apply the material covered in training to real-life situations (role-playing scenarios)
• Find ways to use the time after a crisis as a stop toward preventing future crises
• Use a model for action after an incident that will bring about necessary closure, debriefing and re-establishment of a therapeutic relationship with the individuals involved
If you need to cancel your registration for this event,
please call 1-800-827-4277 Monday through Friday, 8 am to 6 pm, or log in to your account to cancel online.
Parking is available in front of the hospital.
This course is open to Sharp Mesa Vista and Sharp McDonald Center employees only.
Instructors vary for this course. All instructors are certified by the Crisis Prevention Institute.
If you need to cancel or reschedule, please do so at least 24 hours before the start of the class.
Four (4) CEUs will be awarded for RN/MFT/LCSW for initial courses. Please provide RN/MFT/LCSW license numbers at the time of the class to receive CEUs.