Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center
Weight-Loss (Bariatric) Surgery at Sharp Chula Vista
Expert care for weight-loss surgery.
Located in San Diego's South Bay, Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center's Weight-Loss Surgery Program offers laparoscopic (less-invasive) Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and gastric banding ( Lap-Band®) surgeries.
The Roux-en-Y gastric bypass method has been endorsed by the National Institute of Health and has become the gold standard for the treatment of clinical obesity, while the FDA-approved Lap-Band® has also helped patients achieve weight-loss success and reduce or eliminate health problems, including diabetes and hypertension.
Weight-loss surgery, also known as bariatric surgery, is for adults who are more than 100 pounds overweight with a body mass index of 40 or above (or between 35 and 40 for patients with obesity-related health conditions).
From the initial information session through insurance verification, preparation for surgery, dietary counseling, surgery and beyond, Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center's surgical weight-loss team is dedicated to improving the health of patients and making their weight-loss surgery experiences comfortable, well-explained and supported.
Why choose Sharp Chula Vista's weight-loss surgery services?
- Bilingual surgeons allow clear communication between Spanish-speaking patients and the weight-loss surgery team throughout the process
- Cosmetic surgery is available to help patients look and feel their best after weight-loss surgery
- Individual diet plans and other maintenance services keep patients on track toward reaching their weight-loss goals
- Offers two surgical weight-loss options — Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and laparoscopic gastric banding (Lap-Band®)
- Thorough assessments ensure that surgery is the best choice for each individual patient
Sharp Chula Vista's weight-loss surgery team.
Sharp Chula Vista's Weight-Loss Surgery Program is under the direction of Dr. Hugo Barrera and Dr. Frank Hernandez. Both are board-certified in general surgery and are highly trained in performing the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and Lap-Band® procedures.
The team also includes a patient navigator who has undergone weight-loss surgery and is available to answer questions and guide patients through the surgery process.
How to get covered.
All PPO insurance plans are accepted (excluding Blue Cross). Please note we do not accept:
- HMO insurance plans
- Kaiser Permanente