Sharp McDonald Center
Your Stay at Sharp McDonald Center
What to expect during your stay.
The journey toward recovery is never easy. That's why we're here to provide you with guidance, support and compassion.
We'll provide you with detailed information when you come in for your assessment, but in the meantime, take a look below to get a better idea of what to expect from your stay with us. From here on out, we are here to help.
Getting to know you.
Within your first few days of treatment, you will have conversations with registered nurses, therapists and physicians in order for us to gain a deeper understanding of how addiction has impacted your life. Together, we'll work to develop your individualized treatment plan and identify your personal recovery goals.
Establishing a routine.
We will ask that you follow our daily schedule while you are in treatment. The importance of establishing a structured daily schedule cannot be overstated. Such seemingly little things as getting to bed at a reasonable hour, eating normal meals and maintaining personal hygiene are often neglected in addiction. Reestablishing these habits of living by taking care of details such as making your bed each morning, keeping your room tidy and eating a healthy breakfast are among the first steps in bringing order to what may have become a disorderly lifestyle.
Engaging in treatment.
The type of treatment you can expect to receive at our center consists of education on the nature of both addiction and recovery, as well as group therapy, case management services, relapse prevention, family education, recreational groups, assertiveness training, and guidance on dealing with problems common to addicts and alcoholics. We'll ask that you engage in therapeutic task assignments to help reinforce daily structure and participate in discussion sessions and aftercare groups.
During your stay, you'll also be exposed to other support groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous and SMART meetings, which will be an important aspect of your continued recovery when you are done with your time here.
What to pack for your stay.
As you prepare for your stay with us, the list below will help you determine what items to bring. Please note that all items are subject to review by your caregivers. For your convenience, we have laundry facilities on-site and laundry detergent will be provided for you.
- Modest street clothing for one week only
- One pair of closed-toed shoes
- Exercise clothing and athletic shoes
- Curling iron/blow dryer
- One pair of pajamas, one robe, one pair of shower shoes
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Deodorant (non-aerosol)
- Makeup and feminine hygiene products
- Personal identification (driver's license or passport) and insurance card
- No more than $20 cash with you (preferably as one dollar bills)
- Current prescriptions/medications to be taken during treatment
- Shaving items
- Shampoo, conditioner
- Body wash/soap
- Stationery, stamps and envelopes
- Pens, pencils and note pad
- One book for reading pleasure*
- A picture of family and or friends
- One small personal music player (CD or MP3 player) with headphones that is without Wi-Fi, camera or recording capabilities**
*This is for personal use during non-program hours only, which are from 9:15 to 11 pm.
**Cell phone use is discouraged in order to allow you to participate more fully in the program. During your time in treatment your cell phone will be securely stored.
What to leave at home.
- Any item with alcohol listed in the first three ingredients
- Clothing or items reflecting drugs, or explicit images or language
- Electronic devices that have Internet, telephone, photographic or recording capabilities (examples include, but are not limited to, tablets and mobile phones)
- Weapons of any kind including any sharp object
- Illegal substances and alcohol
- Electronic cigarettes, rolling papers, cigars and pipes
- Candles and incense
- Personal movies
- Non-prescription (over-the-counter) medication such as Advil, Tylenol, creams, etc.
- Food and beverages
- Chewable candy, suckers and gum
- Personal computers and computer equipment
Find out more.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors in San Diego.
"Each patient's experience is very important and I strive to meet individual needs while delivering the highest quality of care."