Sharp Memorial Hospital
Health Requirements for Volunteers
At Sharp, we're committed to the highest levels of health and safety. To become one of our volunteers, we ask that you obtain the following health clearances for your safety and that of our patients, visitors and staff.
Required volunteer health clearances.
Volunteers in all areas must meet the following health clearance requirements:
- Two tuberculosis (TB) skin tests given one week apart at Sharp Employee Occupational Health Department (EOHD) or at your college's student health services or personal physician's office. You must bring your TB test receipt to our EOHD nurse. TB skin testing is provided by Sharp EOHD at no charge.
- Documentation of two doses of the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine.
- Documentation of one dose of the Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccine given in 2005 or later.
Any vaccine or blood test documentation that is required will need to be completed by a provider of your choosing. We suggest not receiving any vaccines (such as MMR, Tdap or varicella) until an EOHD nurse has explained your requirements. It's best to locate your immunization record if you plan on applying to volunteer.
Additional clearances for Sharp Mary Birch volunteers.
- Documentation of immunity to chickenpox. You can provide a blood test showing proof of immunity if you have had chickenpox in the past. If you have not had chickenpox, you will need documentation of two doses of the varicella (chickenpox) vaccine.
Our seasonal influenza policy.
- All volunteers are required to be vaccinated or to sign a declination form by Nov. 1 of each year
- Volunteers that decline the seasonal influenza vaccination will be required to wear a surgical mask while volunteering in any area where patients are served (from Nov. 1 to approximately March 31)
- Flu vaccines are provided by Sharp EOHD at no charge
Find out more.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors in San Diego.
"I provide patients with less invasive options in a thorough, evidence-based manner."
"I provide quality, personalized care focused on the best outcomes for each of my patients."
"My greatest pleasure comes from the personal interaction I have with patients and their families."
"I understand my patients' sacrifice of time and ensure experiences in my care are always positive."
"I am dedicated to the treatment of kidney disease and health promotion in a caring and cost effective manner."
"Dedication and friendliness are essential in delivering superior patient care."
"The Sharp Experience signifies individuals who are dedicated to providing seamless medical care to improve the lives of those in our community."