For Interns and Fellows
Frequently Asked Questions About Sharp's Fellowship Program
How long is the fellowship program?
The Administrative Fellowship Program lasts for one year (12 months).
How many fellows are selected for the program each year?
One fellow is selected each year.
Who should the letters of recommendation be addressed to?
Address each letter to Program Manager, Jennifer Byers. Letters should be written on letterhead with an original signature. The letters must be sent as part of the application packet.
What is the application deadline?
Applications must be postmarked no later than January 15, 2017.
What are the application requirements?
Each application must include: professional resume, essay, official graduate school transcripts (from all graduate programs attended), three letters of recommendation (two professional, one academic) and a list identifying the four areas of professional focus for the fellowship.
What qualities are you looking for in a fellow?
The fellow will have a strong academic record; at least two years of health care experience; possess strong communication skills (both oral and written) and leadership skills; have the ability to work on multiple projects at once; be flexible, intuitive and inventive; be self-motivated and team orientated; conduct him- or herself in a professional manner; and be knowledgeable about our health care organization.
How flexible is the structure of the program? Do fellows create their own projects or are they assigned?
A little bit of both; the fellow is expected to develop possible project ideas in coordination with management and also to work on assigned projects. The program is very self-directed; essentially, the fellow drives the path he or she wants to go down in terms of interest areas and project involvement.
Will I have a preceptor/mentor?
Yes. The fellow will be matched with one executive to serve as a mentor for the entire program. Mentors are selected based on the fellow's interests and will be able to help facilitate projects and introductions. Other preceptors will be determined based on project work.
Who are some of the preceptors that the fellow reports to during the course of the fellowship?
Any or all parts of our senior leadership team consisting of the CEO, CFO, COO, CNO and SVP.
What projects have previous fellows completed?
Some of the past projects include:
- Antenatal testing center business proposal
- Customer satisfaction initiatives
- Destination Orthopedics competitive research and business proposal
- Development of the Sharp Memorial Hospital Planetree Designation application and site visit facilitation
- Employee engagement initiatives
- Five-year capital plan
- Grant writing
- Hospice space planning project
- Interpretive/translation services policy and procedure update
- Lean Six Sigma projects
- NCQA Accreditation - research and application writing
- New program implementation work groups
- Patient education materials database
- Physician satisfaction improvement
- Physician time study and subsequent process improvement implementation
- Reference guide development for new systems/programs
- Service recovery education module
- Sharp Chula Vista HCAHPS Physician Communication Taskforce
- Sharp Rees-Stealy patient check-in kiosk implementation
- Pharmacy FTE benchmark analysis
- Sharp Grossmont endoscopy utilization analysis
- Sharp Coronado endoscopy suite build-out analysis
- Sharp Coronado Healthy Living Center Steering Committee
- Sharp Chula Vista Gift Shop sales performance and marketing plan
- Sharp Chula Vista Planetree Designation Steering Committee member/subcommittee chair
- Sharp Chula Vista emergency department rapid medical evaluation redesign
- Sharp system telemedicine expansion initiative
- Sharp Memorial Hospital continuous passive motion study
- Sharp Mary Birch Discharge Education (Help at Home HCAHPS) Task Force
- Sharp Grossmont Hospital emergency department imaging procedures turnaround time assessment
- Sharp system pharmacy courier service financial feasibility project
- Sharp system pharmacy defensible Chargemaster project
- Sharp system AAHRPP research accreditation
- Sharp system pharmacy visioning five-year strategic plan
- Sharp Mesa Vista Chronic Pain Intensive Outpatient Program I
- Sharp Coronado diabetes metrics coaching program
- Sharp Coronado MTM (medication counseling) expansion initiative
What special opportunities may a fellow participate in as part of the program?
Some of the opportunities past fellows have participated in include the annual All-Staff event, the Sharp HealthCare Board of Directors Retreat, New Leader Training, HRO and Just Culture training and quarterly Leadership Development Conferences.
Does your program support visas?
The fellowship does not currently support visas.
Do you accept applications from graduates of years past?
We will accept applications only from recent graduates. Applicants must have obtained their graduate degree within one year of the start of the fellowship program. For example, if you graduated in May 2016 and the program start date is July 2017 you are eligible to apply for the fellowship program; however, if you graduated in May 2015, unfortunately you are not eligible to apply.
What degrees are you looking for?
Our candidates should be completing a master's in a health care-related field. Degrees should be in business administration, public health, health administration, health services or something similar. MSNs will be accepted as well; however, this is not a clinical program.
What is the interview process like?
It is a three-step interview process. After the applications have been reviewed, selected candidates will go through phone interviews with the current fellow, past fellows and the program manager. The initial interviews will be followed up with live virtual interviews with candidates selected to move forward from the phone interviews. Then a select number of candidates will be invited to San Diego for final on-site interviews with the program administrators, current fellow, past fellows and senior leaders in mid-to-late February 2017.
Is the fellowship a paid position?
Yes. A competitive salary will be given.
Who is the current fellow? May I contact him or her with further questions?
The current fellow is Nicole Borsook. She may be contacted with further questions regarding the fellowship program or application process at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any additional questions regarding the program or the application process can be sent to Jennifer Byers, Program Manager, at email@example.com or to our current Administrative Fellow, Nicole Borsook, at firstname.lastname@example.org.