Sharp HealthCare is a not-for-profit integrated regional health care delivery system based in San Diego, Calif. The Sharp Health System is comprised of four acute-care hospitals, three specialty hospitals and two medical groups, in addition to hosting a full spectrum of inpatient and outpatient facilities and services.
This ASHP-accredited pharmacy practice (PGY1) residency provides opportunity for the resident to enhance his or her ability to provide effective pharmaceutical care in a wide variety of settings. Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center serves as the home base of the residency program; and the residents also complete their rotations at Sharp Memorial Hospital and other Sharp HealthCare hospitals. Through this health care system residency approach, the resident obtains pharmacy experience in multiple diverse patient care settings. Unique and distinctive training may include: emergency medicine, inpatient pain management, critical care, NICU, infectious disease, cardiology, nutritional and metabolic support, geriatrics, hospital administration, health care system administration, anticoagulation, psychiatry and women's studies.
Residents work under the mentorship of pharmacy resident advisors and preceptors. This program enables the resident to improve communication and leadership skills with health care professionals, pharmacy students and patients. The resident participates in the development of his or her own residency plan, which reflects their interests and builds upon their previous experiences. Upon successful completion of our program, residents will be equipped with the knowledge to become an asset to the pharmacy community. Residents work under the mentorship of pharmacy resident advisors and preceptors. This program enables the resident to improve communication and leadership skills with health care professionals, pharmacy students and patients. The resident participates in the development of his or her own residency plan, which reflects their interest and builds upon their previous experiences. Upon successful completion of our program, residents will be equipped with the knowledge to become an asset to the pharmacy community.
Learn more about each Sharp HealthCare facility:
- U-T San Diego readers named Sharp Memorial Hospital San Diego's "Best Hospital" in 2009 to 2011, and Sharp Rees-Stealy Medical Group named San Diego's "Best Medical Group" in 2011 and 2012
- Sharp HealthCare named No. 1 hospital network in California and No. 13 in nation by SDI in 2011
- Sharp Memorial Hospital caregivers given the Spirit of Planetree Award in 2011
- Sharp Memorial received American Heart Association's Get with the Guidelines Heart Failure Gold Quality Achievement Award in 2012
- Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns awarded the Press Ganey Best Place to Practice Award in 2011
- Sharp Grossmont Hospital's Medical ICU received the Beacon Award for Critical Care Excellence in April 2010
- Sharp Memorial and Sharp Grossmont achieve the MAGNET® Designation for Nursing Excellence by the American Nurse Credentialing Center in July 2010
- Sharp HospiceCare received the American Hospital Association (AHA) Circle of Life Citation for Honor in July 2010
- Sharp Memorial Hospital was named the "Most Beautiful Hospital in America" by voters in a contest run by Soliant Health in 2010
- Sharp HealthCare named one of the nation's "Most Wired" health care systems by Hospital & Health Networks magazine (12 years in a row)
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center was recognized for specific Specialty Excellence in: Pulmonary (2006 to 2008), Stroke (2008), and Women's Health (2008)
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center, winner of the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists' (ASHP) Best Practices Award in Health System Pharmacy, 2006
Residency objectives and experiences are individually designed so that residents develop confidence and competence in acute patient care, drug information, disease state management and practice management. Residents are encouraged to participate in the development of their own residency plan that reflects personal interests and builds upon previous experiences.
Required core rotations:
- Critical Care
- Emergency Medicine (guaranteed elective)
- Inpatient Pain Management (guaranteed elective)
- Infectious Disease/Antibiotic Stewardship
- Medicine (Telemetry/Med-Surg)
- Practice Management/Administration
- Safe Medication Practice
- Advanced Critical Care
- Ambulatory Care
- Managed Care
- Nutritional & Metabolic Support
- Pharmacy Infomatics
- Skilled Nursing Facility
- Systems Administration
- Transition of Care (new for 2013)
- Transplant (new for 2013)
- Trauma (new for 2013)
- Women's Health
*All core rotations may also be taken as electives.
**Residents may develop new rotations as approved by the residency director and preceptors.
Residents actively participate in the Pharmacy and Therapeutics (P&T), Safe Medication Practice and other supervisory and multidisciplinary committees as appropriate.
The annual base stipend will be an estimate of $42,000. All staffing will be tailored to the needs of the residency program, the pharmacy department and coordinated with the pharmacy managers. Financial support is provided for approved educational opportunities, conferences and travel as pertaining to the needs of the residency program.
- Educational Opportunities
Residents will be provided with ongoing educational opportunities through attendance and participation of approved professional meetings and conferences (CSHP, ASHP Midyear, Society of Critical Care Medicine, Western States Conference), the obtainment of certifications (ACLS, BCPS) and additional ongoing learning modules developed by Sharp HealthCare.
Each resident will act as chief resident for 1 quarter (4-month term) that involves coordinating and scheduling tasks to the residency team, maintaining correspondence with pharmacy administration and preceptors and additionally perform other duties as necessary for the development of the residency program.
The diversity of Sharp HealthCare provides numerous opportunities for residents to present throughout the year to medical and nursing staff, pharmacy students and staff, and among fellow peer residents in addition to the required rotational and formal seminar presentations.
Residents are each expected to collaborate with residency preceptors and coordinators to select an area of interest and complete an in-depth, systematic study suitable for publication and presentation. Additional projects are completed as requested by the resident, rotation preceptors, the pharmacy department and as deemed beneficial to Sharp HealthCare.
Teaching experiences are integrated with patient care activities and through the provision of educational support to pharmacy students and staff, nursing and medical staff members and others. Residents will work closely with pharmacists in the preceptorship of pharmacy students on clinical rotations from numerous pharmacy schools including Touro University College of Pharmacy, Western University of Health Sciences, UC San Diego Skaggs School of Pharmacy, University of the Pacific and Northstate College of Pharmacy. Through the San Diego Pharmacy Residency Leadership Program (SDPRL), residents will obtain teaching certification upon completion and participate in activities including preceptor development and various workshops.
How to Apply
Applicants must possess a doctor of pharmacy degree (PharmD), must be self-motivated, and must possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Completion of the national licensure exam (NAPLEX) and the California licensure exam (CPJE) is highly recommended before entering into the residency.
All application material must be completed and submitted in PhORCAS by Jan. 3, 2013, to be accepted. Additionally, a supplemental form must be completed and uploaded into PhORCAS for the application to be considered. For questions, please contact residency director Grant Lum, PharmD, or one of the current pharmacy residents.
As per PhORCAS, complete applications should include the following as well as meet any additional requirements by PhORCAS:
- College transcript
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of interest
- Three letters of recommendation
- Supplemental form (upload into PhORCAS is required)
For additional information, please review and download the following materials:
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and download these files.
Please note that Sharp HealthCare does not control or endorse the information presented on external websites, nor do these websites endorse the information found on www.sharp.com.