The Perinatal Special Care Unit (PSCU) at Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns is dedicated to caring for women who are experiencing premature labor or other complications of pregnancy. While most women don’t anticipate issues with their pregnancy or delivery, conditions like hypertension and diabetes can increase the chances of developing problems. Women carrying more than one baby and those having children later in life are also at increased risk for pregnancy complications.
Sharp Mary Birch is uniquely positioned to provide highly specialized care for women experiencing high-risk pregnancy, and babies needing extra care after they are born. We offer safe, patient-centered care in all-private rooms. This critical care helps ensure the best possible outcome for mothers and their babies. Our expert affiliated physicians and highly specialized nursing staff are skilled in caring for both the physical and emotional needs of our patients.
What Causes a High-Risk Pregnancy?
Some of the medical, surgical or obstetrical factors that may cause you to have a high-risk pregnancy include:
- Chronic illness
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Multiple gestations (twins, triplets, etc.)
- Pregnancy over age 35
- Preterm labor
- Seizure disorders
- Previous pregnancy loss
- Poor obstetric history
- Other medical conditions
Why Choose Sharp Mary Birch for High-Risk Pregnancy Care?
- We are San Diego's only hospital dedicated exclusively to caring for women and newborns
- We have more affiliated maternal-fetal medicine specialists — also known as perinatologists — than any other hospital in San Diego County. These doctors have advanced training and experience to care for your high-risk pregnancy
- We offer perinatology, anesthesiology, neonatology and obstetric coverage 24/7
- Our PSCU offers all private suites, with a place for a loved one to stay the night (children are also welcome to visit)
- The hospital’s Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit is the largest in San Diego and provides innovative therapies and cutting-edge technology to give even the most fragile of newborns the best possible start in life
- Caregivers at Sharp Mary Birch are dedicated to delivering an extraordinary level of caring called The Sharp Experience, which combines clinical excellence, advanced technology and patient- and family-centered care
- We provide a host of support services to patients in the PSCU including a bedside art program called Arts for Healing, pet therapy, support groups and childbirth preparation classes, clergy, Reiki massage and other complimentary therapies, spa treatments, free wireless Internet access, access to a computer and printer and behavioral health services
Newly remodeled private rooms make the Perinatal Special Care Unit a comfortable place for moms to await the delivery of their new baby.
High-Risk Pregnancy Care Location
Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns
3003 Health Center Drive
San Diego, CA 92123
High-Risk Pregnancy Care Patient Story
Amy Flowers was admitted to the PSCU because her unborn child had an irregular heartbeat. Her story was taken from the PSCU patient journal, a diary passed from room to room as women share the long hours and days of bed rest. Read Amy’s story.
For More High-Risk Pregnancy Care Information
To learn more about perinatal care, read High-Risk Pregnancy or High-Risk Newborns. For general information, read about Pregnancy and Childbirth. For help in finding a physician who is affiliated with Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns, search for a San Diego perinatologist or call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277), Monday through Friday, 8 am to 6 pm.