Specialized Care for Women During Childbirth
Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns provides quality care to pregnant women and their families from pre-birth testing to labor, delivery and recovery.
Why Choose Sharp Mary Birch's Labor and Delivery Services?
- All-private patient rooms, including labor and delivery suites with private bathrooms
- Around-the-clock perinatology, anesthesiology, obstetric care and neonatology
- Family-centered care throughout each woman's stay
- Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) — the largest in Southern California — giving the most fragile of newborns the best possible start in life
- San Diego's only hospital dedicated exclusively to caring for women
- State-of-the-art labor and delivery department
- Special recovery unit for women recovering from Cesarean deliveries designed to help keep mom and baby together during the important first hours of life
- Support for personal birthing choices, with nurses specially trained in natural birthing techniques, birthing balls, squatting bars and a doula program
- Wireless computer access available throughout the hospital
Labor and Delivery Programs and Services
Sharp Mary Birch's Labor and Delivery Team
Sharp Mary Birch's obstetric nurses are specialists in the use of alternative methods for unmedicated labor and delivery, including massage, breathing techniques and birthing balls. Our anesthesiologists pioneered a special technique for labor epidural continuous infusions and also introduced the patient-controlled epidural for pain relief during childbirth to San Diego.
Ask the Labor and Delivery Expert
Are you interested in pursuing a VBAC (vaginal birth after Cesarean)? Learn all about VBACs
from Dr. Colleen McNally, an OBGYN affiliated with Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns, as she answers frequently asked questions about the procedure.
If you are delivering a baby at a Sharp Mary Birch, you need to fill out a maternity preadmission form before you deliver your baby. If you do not have a form from your doctor, you can download the Maternity Preadmission Form
, print it, complete it, and return it to the hospital.
Labor and Delivery Location
Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns
3003 Health Center Drive
San Diego, CA 92123
Take a virtual tour of Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns.
For More Labor and Delivery Information
To learn more about labor and delivery services at Sharp, visit Pregnancy and Childbirth
. For help in finding a physician who is affiliated with Sharp Mary Birch Hospital, search for a San Diego OBGYN
or call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277), Monday through Friday, 8 am to 6 pm.