A patient area in Sharp Mary Birch's NICU, where parents are encouraged to be partners in care for their baby.
Specialty Care for Infants
Sharp Mary Birch's Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) offers specialty care for little ones who need special attention. Whether your baby was born prematurely or with complications, there is no better place for your baby to grow, heal and receive high-quality medical care.
Why Choose Sharp Mary Birch for Neonatal Intensive Care?
- Family members are encouraged to help with the baby's care routine and can personalize the baby's bed space
- More than 130 babies are transferred to our NICU from other area hospitals each year
- Our 84-bed level III NICU is one of the largest of its kind in Southern California
- Parents play an integral role in decisions regarding the baby's treatment
- Sharp Mary Birch's NICU ranks among the top four centers in the nation for NICU infection prevention
- Technology and innovation are combined with the human touch to give at-risk babies the best start in life
- The NICU is focused on meeting the needs of the family and now offers a NICU Navigator Program as well as parent hour, an informational session for parents who currently have a baby in the NICU.
- Visiting hours are 22 hours per day
Neonatal Intensive Care Programs and Services
Parents of premature infants are also provided the opportunity to participate in Kangaroo Care — a form of skin-to-skin contact that encourages bonding, interaction and cuddling between parents and small babies. In addition to the emotional and psychological benefits of Kangaroo Care, the technique has also been shown to encourage breastfeeding, help with a restful sleep state and promote an early hospital release for premature infants.
Sharp Mary Birch's NICU Team
The multidisciplinary NICU team includes:
Neonatal nurse practitioners
Occupational and physical therapists
Respiratory care practitioners
Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns
3003 Health Center Drive
San Diego, CA 92123
Take a virtual tour of Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns.
For More Neonatal Intensive Care Information
At Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns, we are proud to be San Diego's only hospital dedicated to women's care. To learn more, please call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277). For help choosing the Sharp-affiliated doctor who is right for you, please call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277) or search for a San Diego OBGYN