A patient area in Sharp Mary Birch's NICU, where parents are encouraged to be partners in care for their baby.
Specialty Care for Infants
Sharp Mary Birch's Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) offers specialty care for little ones who need special attention. Whether your baby was born prematurely or with complications, there is no better place for your baby to grow, heal and receive high-quality medical care.
Why Choose Sharp Mary Birch for Neonatal Intensive Care?
- Family members are encouraged to help with the baby's care routine and can personalize the baby's bed space
- More than 130 babies are transferred to our NICU from other area hospitals each year
- Neurologic Intensive Care Nursery specializes in state-of-the-art care for newborns that may require advanced neurologic assessment and care
- Our 84-bed level III NICU is one of the largest of its kind in Southern California
- Parents play an integral role in decisions regarding the baby's treatment
- Sharp Mary Birch's NICU ranks among the top four centers in the nation for NICU infection prevention
- Technology and innovation are combined with the human touch to give at-risk babies the best start in life
- The Neonatal Research Institute continuously works toward providing the latest scientific evidence on the best ways to care for our newborns with research interests that include delivery room interventions, ventilation strategies, seizure detection and treatments and outcomes of prematurity
- The NICU is focused on meeting the needs of the family and now offers a NICU Navigator Program as well as parent hour, an informational session for parents who currently have a baby in the NICU.
- Visiting hours are 22 hours per day
- We encourage parents to participate in Kangaroo Care — a form of skin-to-skin contact that encourages bonding, interaction and cuddling between parents and small babies, which has been shown to encourage breastfeeding, help with restful sleep and promote an early release for premature infants
- Parents can see their child anywhere, anytime through NICVIEW, an online video portal that connects to a camera attached to their baby's bed or incubator.
Sharp Mary Birch's NICU Team
The multidisciplinary NICU team includes:
Neonatal nurse practitioners
Occupational and physical therapists
Respiratory care practitioners
Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns
3003 Health Center Drive
San Diego, CA 92123
Take a virtual tour of Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns.
For More Neonatal Intensive Care Information
At Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns, we are proud to be San Diego's only hospital dedicated to women's care. To learn more, please call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277). For help choosing the Sharp-affiliated doctor who is right for you, please call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277) or search for a San Diego OBGYN