Volunteer opportunities at Sharp Memorial Hospital are provided by the Sharp Metropolitan Medical Campus Volunteer Services department. Volunteers in all areas must meet the following health clearance requirements:
- Two-step tuberculosis (TB) skin test given one week apart at Sharp Employee Occupational Health Department (EOHD) or at your college's student health services (annual renewal of one TB test is required on the anniversary date of completion of first health screening)
- Documentation of two doses of the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine
- Documentation of one dose of the Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccine given in 2005 or later
Volunteers at Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns must meet these additional health clearance requirements:
- Documentation of immunity to chicken pox. You can provide either a blood test showing proof of immunity if you have had chicken pox in the past OR if you have not had chicken pox you will need documentation of two doses of the varicella (chicken pox) vaccine.
TB skin testing and flu vaccine will be provided by Sharp EOHD at no charge.
Any vaccine or blood test documentation that is required will need to be completed by a provider of your choosing. We suggest not receiving any vaccines until you have been invited to join the program and an EOHD nurse has explained your requirements. We suggest locating your immunization record if you plan on applying to volunteer.
Seasonal Influenza Policy
- All volunteers are required to be vaccinated or to sign a declination form by Dec. 15 of each year
- Volunteers that decline the seasonal influenza vaccination will be required to wear a surgical mask while volunteering in any area where patients are served (from Dec. 16 to approximately March 31)
Learn More About the Volunteer Program
For More Information
To contact the volunteer office, please call 858-939-3588, email email@example.com or stop by our office located in Trailer E (directly behind the Rehabilitation Center) at 2999 Health Center Drive, San Diego, CA 92123.