In January 2009, Sharp HealthCare asked San Diegans to forget everything they knew about hospitals. That's because a hospital unlike any other was about to open its doors.
It's been five years since the Stephen Birch Healthcare Center at Sharp Memorial Hospital was dedicated, bringing an ambitious dream of transforming the health care experience in San Diego to reality.
Since that historic day in January 2009:
- Nearly 90,000 patients have been admitted to the Stephen Birch Healthcare Center, each enjoying a private room — a first for San Diego
- More than 305,000 visits have been made to the Emergency Department, which features the largest trauma unit in San Diego
- Nearly 50,000 surgeries have taken place in our 10 state-of-the-art operating suites
- Patient satisfaction has ranked in the top 5 percent nationally every year
- The center was named "The Most Beautiful Hospital in the World" by Soliant Health
Stephen Birch Healthcare Center facts:
Cost to build: $195 million (more than $60 million came from donors, including $10 million from the Stephen and Mary Birch Foundation)
Size: 315,000 square feet
Number of all-private patient rooms: 334
Surgical suites: 10
Intensive care units: 48
View Sharp Memorial Hospital's photo tour.
For More Information
To learn more about Sharp Memorial's programs and services, please call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277), Monday through Friday, 8 am to 6 pm, or send us an email.