Sharp HealthCare values its relationship with local media and we look forward to working with you to educate our community about important health issues. Following is a compilation of current health care topics.
Please contact Erica Carlson at Erica.Carlson@sharp.com if you are interested in speaking with one of our affiliated physicians or clinicians. To learn more about Sharp, please visit our Press Center.
Inside Sharp HealthCare
- Sharp HealthCare Study on Innovative Care for Chronically Ill Shows Better Outcomes, Reduced Hospitalizations — Patients living with advanced chronic heart failure experience improved quality of life and less hospitalizations through an innovative program provided by Sharp HealthCare. Medical experts are available to discuss preliminary results of the program, recently published in the Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management,and its implications on the greater health care issue facing the nation.
- Women's Health Conference — Sharp will host its annual Women's Health Conference on Nov. 9 from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina. More than 800 women will attend this interactive conference, which addresses specific health concerns of women through a compilation of speakers, free health screenings and assessments, exhibits, informative sessions on health and fitness and more. Keynote speakers and event representatives are available for interview.
National Trends Localized
- California Kids and Soda — According to a recent report, California kids under 12 are drinking fewer sodas and sports drinks than they were a few years ago, but more teenagers are downing at least one sugar-sweetened beverage a day than in 2005 to 2007. A Sharp-affiliated physician is available to discuss the effects of sugary drinks and childhood obesity.
- Food on the Go … Bars: Are They Healthy? — The market research firm Packaged Facts said in an April 2012 report that the bar business approached $5.7 billion in 2011 and is still growing.The bar market is thriving amid hectic lifestyles, but read the ingredients list before substituting a meal. A Sharp dietitian is available to discuss the healthy ingredients to look for in bars and what ingredients to stay away from.
Important Health Dates
- American Diabetes Month — November is National American Diabetes Month. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention someone is diagnosed with diabetes every 17 seconds, and by 2050 one in three Americans will be affected by the disease. A Sharp-affiliated physician or dietitian is available to discuss the risk factors, symptoms, treatment options and importance of preventive measures.
- Lung Cancer Awareness Month — November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month. According to the American Lung Association, lung cancer is the most common cause of cancer death. A Sharp-affiliated oncologist is available to discuss both the physical and emotional challenges associated with this type of cancer and also risk factors, symptoms and treatment options.
- National Hospice & Palliative Care Month —November is National Hospice and Palliative Care Month. Sharp HospiceCare has been caring for patients with life-limiting illnesses and their loved ones since 1991. A Sharp HospiceCare representative is available to share the program's approach to pain relief, daily comfort and closure.