Health Tip: Take an Antibiotic Properly
Don't stop taking it because you feel better
(HealthDay News) -- It's important to take an antibiotic exactly as prescribed and to finish the entire prescription, experts say. To help prevent harmful bacteria from becoming resistant to your antibiotic, don't stop taking the medication just because you feel better.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration offers these guidelines to help you take an antibiotic properly:
- Finish your prescription without missing any dose -- even if you stop feeling sick. Don't stop taking it because you want to save some of the medication for a future illness.
- Only stop taking the antibiotic if your doctor tells you to do so.
- Avoid sharing your antibiotic with anyone else.
- Health Tip: When Antibiotics Aren't the Answer
November 29, 2013
- New Push by Doctors to Limit Antibiotic Use in Kids
November 18, 2013
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.