Health Tip: Rest to Help Heal Shin Splints
Suggestions to ease the pain
(HealthDay News) -- The searing pain of shin splints is an injury some runners know all too well. Shin splints occur when the muscles, tendons or bone tissue become inflamed from overuse.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggests to help shin splints heal:
- Rest for a few weeks, and avoid the activity that triggered the shin splints.
- Take an anti-inflammatory medication.
- Gently stretch the muscles in and around the shins.
- Ice the shins to ease pain and inflammation.
- Migraine, Chronic Back Pain Tied to Higher Suicide Risk
May 22, 2013
- Pain a Common Problem for People With COPD
May 21, 2013
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.