Health Tip: Call Your Doctor Before You Take Antacids...
...If you have certain symptoms
(HealthDay News) -- Antacids are medications that counteract acids in the stomach, to help ease heartburn discomfort.
Many of these drugs are sold over-the-counter. But not everyone should take antacids, despite their wide availability, the American Academy of Family Physicians says.
The academy mentions these people who shouldn't take antacids without first consulting a physician:
- People who are passing bloody stools.
- People who are vomiting blood.
- People who have heartburn that doesn't get better after two weeks of treatment.
- People who have painful or difficulty swallowing.
- People who are losing weight for no apparent reason.
- Health Tip: Is a Stomachache Serious?
June 05, 2014
- Might Stomach Artery Treatment Be Future Weight-Loss Tool?
November 25, 2013
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.