Health Tip: Signs That You May Have a Herniated Disc
Although symptoms vary
(HealthDay News) -- A spinal disk becomes herniated when the inside contents bulge out from a weakened portion of the disk and put pressure on surrounding nerves.
The resulting pain may affect the leg, foot or hip if the slipped disk is in the lower back. A herniated disk in the neck can cause pain in the upper back and shoulders.
The ADAM Encyclopedia says painful symptoms of a herniated disk tend to worsen:
- After you have been sitting down or standing for a long period.
- During the night.
- When you laugh, cough or sneeze.
- When you walk, even a short distance.
- When you bend over backward.
- Acupuncture May Not Help Chronic Knee Pain, Study Finds
September 30, 2014
- U.S. Pledges Millions to Study Ways to Ease Soldiers' Pain
September 25, 2014
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.