Health Tip: Signs That You May Have a Herniated Disc
Although symptoms vary
(HealthDay News) -- A spinal disk becomes herniated when the inside contents bulge out from a weakened portion of the disk and put pressure on surrounding nerves.
The resulting pain may affect the leg, foot or hip if the slipped disk is in the lower back. A herniated disk in the neck can cause pain in the upper back and shoulders.
The ADAM Encyclopedia says painful symptoms of a herniated disk tend to worsen:
- After you have been sitting down or standing for a long period.
- During the night.
- When you laugh, cough or sneeze.
- When you walk, even a short distance.
- When you bend over backward.
- Hormones Might Offer Relief From Chronic Pain, Small Study Suggests
March 08, 2014
- Study Finds Doctors Prescribing More Sedatives
March 07, 2014
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.