Health Tip: Dealing With Anxiety
Suggestions for how to cope
(HealthDay News) -- Anxiety can quickly spiral out of control and interfere with daily life.
But there are techniques that will allow you to regain control, the American Academy of Family Physicians says. The academy offers these suggestions:
- Schedule 30 minutes each day to think about the things that are concerning you. Save your worry for those designated times. Think less about what will happen and concern yourself more with what's happening now.
- Practice relaxation techniques such as muscle relaxation or deep breathing.
- Get plenty of regular exercise and enough sleep.
- Don't abuse drugs or drink alcohol.
- Restrict or eliminate caffeine.
- Deal with things that have caused you anxiety in the past. Start by visualizing how you will deal with these factors. Doing so will help you deal with them for real.
- Talk about your fears with your doctor. He or she can help you devise a plan for how to better cope with your anxiety.
- Scientists Probe What Makes People Get Their Groove On
April 18, 2014
- Happy Couples Nestle Together at Night, Survey Finds
April 18, 2014
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.