Health Tip: Buy Healthy Foods on a Budget
Try these practical shopping tips
(HealthDay News) -- Healthy eating can get expensive, but advance planning and budgeting can help you reign in costs without sacrificing nutritious foods.
The American Dietetic Association lists these shopping tips for buying healthy foods on a budget:
- Plan menus in advance, and write out a shopping list.
- Clip coupons and sign up for a rewards card at your grocery store.
- Buy foods cheaper in bulk, buy on sale and buy less-expensive store brands when you can.
- Check the per-unit price to spot a better deal.
- Start by circling the perimeter of the store for the fresh foods, then hit the middle aisles.
- Shop for fruits and vegetables that are in season, and look for locally produced foods.
- Prioritize your menu to use up foods that will expire quickly, and remember to store foods promptly in the refrigerator and freezer.
- Health Tip: Eating Vegetarian
May 17, 2013
- Living Near Fast-Food Outlets Might Boost Obesity Risk
May 16, 2013
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.