Health Tip: The Benefits of Meditation
'Om' is where the heart is
(HealthDay News) -- Meditation is gaining attention as a potential way to maintain well-being and good health. It can calm your mind, relax your body, and soothe your spirit. In addition, it's inexpensive and its risks are minimal.
Meditation techniques aren't new. They've been around for thousands of years. Anyone can meditate, regardless of religious or cultural background.
Consider these suggestions from the Mayo Clinic to get you started :
- Select a meditation technique that fits your lifestyle and belief system. Many people build meditation into their daily routine.
- Set aside some time. Start with 5-minute meditation sessions once or twice a day and work up to 20 minutes each time.
- Keep trying. Be kind to yourself as you get started. If you're meditating and your attention wanders, slowly return to the object, sensation or movement you're focusing on.
- Make meditation part of your life. Many people prefer to start and end their day with a period of meditation. Others prefer to take meditation breaks during the day. Experiment and find out what works best for you.
- Join a Choir, Sing Your Way to Happiness?
December 06, 2013
- Good Body Image Goes Hand in Hand With Happier Relationship
December 05, 2013
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.