Health Tip: Swim to Get Fit
But take precautions to prevent injury
(HealthDay News) -- Though swimming is a low-impact aerobic exercise, it's important to protect yourself from injury.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions:
- Before you hit the water, warm up with jumping jacks, walking, or stationary cycling.
- After you're warmed up, stretch slowly and gently before you swim.
- Perform regular exercises that help strengthen muscles in the upper back and shoulders.
- Stick to light and easy swimming if you have an ear infection, respiratory infection or a fever.
- Swimming Pools May Pose Hazard for People With Heart Devices
May 09, 2013
- Health Tip: Be Safe at the Beach
April 08, 2013
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.