Health Tip: Can't Stomach Dairy?
Possible causes of lactose intolerance
(HealthDay News) -- Lactose intolerance occurs when the body can't digest lactose, a sugar found in dairy products.
The U.S National Library of Medicine mentions these common reasons for lactose intolerance:
- The small intestine doesn't produce enough of the enzyme lactase.
- Premature birth.
- Bowel surgery.
- A bacterial or viral infection in the small intestine.
- An intestinal disease, such as celiac sprue.
- Health Tip: Signs That May Warn of Lactose Intolerance
November 12, 2012
- Health Tip: If You're Lactose Intolerant
October 02, 2012
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.