Health Tip: Ease Swelling Beneath a Cast
Steps to help you heal
(HealthDay News) -- Wearing a cast or splint requires special care to help a broken bone heal.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions:
- Make sure the cast or splint stays dry.
- Don't put weight on a walking cast until the cast has completely hardened and dried.
- Take care to prevent sand, powder and dirt from getting between the cast and skin.
- Don't remove padding from the cast or splint.
- Never use an object to reach beneath the cast to scratch. Don't apply powder or deodorant on itchy skin beneath a cast.
- Never break off pieces of the cast.
- Regularly inspect the cast for soft spots. Check surrounding skin for signs of irritation. If you find either of these problems, contact your doctor.
- Female Triathletes May Face Health Problems Such as Incontinence
July 24, 2014
- Delaying Kid's Knee Surgery Could Be a Bad Play, Study Finds
July 11, 2014
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.