Health Tip: Treating an Earache
Suggestions to soothe your child's pain
(HealthDay News) -- Ear infections can cause big pain in little ears. But you and your child's doctor can take steps to help ease the pain and discomfort.
The American Academy of Family Physicians suggests how to ease earache pain:
- If antibiotics are prescribed for a bacterial infection, follow the pediatrician's directions carefully.
- After consulting with the doctor, offer acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Never give your child aspirin, because it can cause a rare but life-threatening condition called Reye's syndrome in kids and teens.
- Place a warm (not hot) heating pad over the sore ear.
- Use any pain-relieving ear drops prescribed by your child's pediatrician.
- Docs Use 3-D Printer to Create Lifesaving Airway Device for Infant
May 22, 2013
- Health Tip: Signs of Periodontal Disease
April 24, 2013
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.