Health Tip: Treating an Earache
Suggestions to soothe your child's pain
(HealthDay News) -- Ear infections can cause big pain in little ears. But you and your child's doctor can take steps to help ease the pain and discomfort.
The American Academy of Family Physicians suggests how to ease earache pain:
- If antibiotics are prescribed for a bacterial infection, follow the pediatrician's directions carefully.
- After consulting with the doctor, offer acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Never give your child aspirin, because it can cause a rare but life-threatening condition called Reye's syndrome in kids and teens.
- Place a warm (not hot) heating pad over the sore ear.
- Use any pain-relieving ear drops prescribed by your child's pediatrician.
- Gene Therapy May Enhance Cochlear Implants, Animal Study Finds
April 23, 2014
- Leeches Help Save Woman's Ear After Pit Bull Mauling
April 16, 2014
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.