Health Tip: Get the Right Fit for Athletic Shoes
Suggestions for choosing the right pair
(HealthDay News) -- Wearing properly-fitted athletic shoes can keep your feet comfy during a workout and help reduce the risk of injury.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions for choosing athletic shoes:
- Shop for shoes when your feet are their largest -- either at the end of the day or after a workout.
- Try on shoes with the same type of sock that you'll wear when you exercise.
- Make sure you can easily wiggle your toes, and that the shoes are comfortable when you try them on.
- Run or walk several steps in the shoes to make sure they're comfortable.
- Properly lace shoes when you try them on.
- Make sure the shoes firmly grip your heels and don't slip off when you're walking or running.
- Choose a sports-specific shoe if you participate in a particular sport at least three times per week.
- Running Won't Raise Risk of Knee Arthritis, Study Says
November 15, 2014
- Health Tip: Enjoy a Post-Run Snack
November 12, 2014
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.