Health Tip: Get the Right Fit for Athletic Shoes
Suggestions for choosing the right pair
(HealthDay News) -- Wearing properly-fitted athletic shoes can keep your feet comfy during a workout and help reduce the risk of injury.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions for choosing athletic shoes:
- Shop for shoes when your feet are their largest -- either at the end of the day or after a workout.
- Try on shoes with the same type of sock that you'll wear when you exercise.
- Make sure you can easily wiggle your toes, and that the shoes are comfortable when you try them on.
- Run or walk several steps in the shoes to make sure they're comfortable.
- Properly lace shoes when you try them on.
- Make sure the shoes firmly grip your heels and don't slip off when you're walking or running.
- Choose a sports-specific shoe if you participate in a particular sport at least three times per week.
- Health Tip: Tight Shoes May Be Damaging Your Feet
October 07, 2014
- Exercise Helps Protect Black Women From Breast Cancer, Study Says
August 15, 2014
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.