Health Tip: Seniors, Prepare for Exercise
Suggestions for getting started
(HealthDay News) -- Exercise is beneficial at any age, and seniors can certainly enjoy its many benefits. But before getting started, you should learn how to exercise safely.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these recommendations to help seniors get started:
- Gradually increase your aerobic workouts, and add variety to your routine.
- Practice flexibility exercises, stretching slowly, gently and within your comfort level.
- Practice strength training exercises, but under the guidance of your doctor, physical therapist or fitness professional.
- Practice relaxation techniques to reduce stress and lower blood pressure.
- Drink plenty of water each day.
- Snack often throughout the day, and stick to light dinners.
- Health Tip: Incorporating Flexibility Training
August 22, 2014
- Failing Vision Tied to Shorter Lifespans for Seniors
August 21, 2014
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.