Health Tip: Caring For an Enlarged Prostate
Manage mild symptoms at home
(HealthDay News) -- As men age, it's common to develop an enlarged prostate, which can cause symptoms that include slowed urination, painful urination and a strong and sudden urge to urinate.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine suggests how to manage mild symptoms of an enlarged prostate:
- Go to the bathroom often, and urinate as soon as you feel the need.
- Restrict caffeine and alcohol, particularly after dinner.
- Restrict fluids within two hours of bedtime, and spread out fluid intake throughout the day.
- Avoid over-the-counter medications that contain antihistamines or decongestants, which can worsen symptoms.
- Get regular exercise and try to stay warm.
- Limit stress when possible.
- New Procedure May Shrink Enlarged Prostate Without Surgery
April 15, 2013
- Side Effects of Prostate Cancer Treatments Similar in Long Run: Study
January 30, 2013
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.