Health Tip: Caring For an Enlarged Prostate
Manage mild symptoms at home
(HealthDay News) -- As men age, it's common to develop an enlarged prostate, which can cause symptoms that include slowed urination, painful urination and a strong and sudden urge to urinate.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine suggests how to manage mild symptoms of an enlarged prostate:
- Go to the bathroom often, and urinate as soon as you feel the need.
- Restrict caffeine and alcohol, particularly after dinner.
- Restrict fluids within two hours of bedtime, and spread out fluid intake throughout the day.
- Avoid over-the-counter medications that contain antihistamines or decongestants, which can worsen symptoms.
- Get regular exercise and try to stay warm.
- Limit stress when possible.
- Can Bike Riding Up Prostate Cancer Risk?
July 18, 2014
- Cost of Prostate Cancer Surgery Varies Widely in U.S.
June 19, 2014
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.