Health Tip: Got a Pain in the Neck?
Possible causes of neck pain
(HealthDay News) -- The neck has an unusually important job -- supporting the weight of your head! When there's pain in the neck, it can stem from a soft tissue injury, or an abnormality in the joints and bones at the top of the spine.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons mentions these possible causes of neck pain:
- A problem, such as rheumatoid arthritis, caused by inflamed joints.
- Injuries due to prolonged wear and tear.
- Cervical disk degeneration (spondylosis), in which the padding inside the disks of the neck deteriorates.
- An injury to the neck, stemming from factors such as an automobile accident, a fall or sports injury.
- Rare tumors, infections or congenital defects of the vertebrae.
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.