Health Tip: Got a Pain in the Neck?
Possible causes of neck pain
(HealthDay News) -- The neck has an unusually important job -- supporting the weight of your head! When there's pain in the neck, it can stem from a soft tissue injury, or an abnormality in the joints and bones at the top of the spine.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons mentions these possible causes of neck pain:
- A problem, such as rheumatoid arthritis, caused by inflamed joints.
- Injuries due to prolonged wear and tear.
- Cervical disk degeneration (spondylosis), in which the padding inside the disks of the neck deteriorates.
- An injury to the neck, stemming from factors such as an automobile accident, a fall or sports injury.
- Rare tumors, infections or congenital defects of the vertebrae.
- Morphine, Blood Thinner Plavix a Bad Mix for Heart Attack Victims: Study
December 04, 2013
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients See Big Boost in Quality of Life
December 03, 2013
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.