Health Tip: Metabolic Syndrome Raises Chance of Cardiovascular Disease
Here are its risk factors
(HealthDay News) -- Metabolic syndrome, a host of risk factors often thought of as a precursor to diabetes, also doubles a person's risk of developing cardiovascular disease, the U.S. National Heart Lung and Blood Institute says.
The agency says if you have three or more of these risk factors, you probably have metabolic syndrome:
- A large waistline (too much abdominal fat).
- High levels of triglycerides, fats found in the blood.
- Low levels of HDL ("good") cholesterol.
- High blood sugar.
- High blood pressure.
- Healthy Lifestyle Changes Linked to Reduced Risk for Dementia
September 17, 2014
- Blood Pressure Seems to Stay Lower Longer in Fitter Men
September 15, 2014
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.