Health Tip: Why Cough?
Here are some common causes
(HealthDay News) -- Coughing is the body's way of ridding the respiratory tract of an irritating substance. Allergies, asthma or inhaling secondhand smoke are common triggers for a cough.
The National Heart Lung and Blood Institute mentions these additional potential causes:
- Air pollution or inhaling fumes from paint or perfume.
- Medical conditions such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), heart failure or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Bronchitis or a respiratory infection.
- Certain medications, including beta blockers and ACE inhibitors, both commonly prescribed to treat high blood pressure and other cardiovascular problems.
- 'Kids' Diseases' Now Hitting Adults
December 16, 2014
- California Infants Hit Hard by Whooping Cough Epidemic: Report
December 04, 2014
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.