Health Tip: What Triggers Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
Stress and other things to avoid
(HealthDay News) -- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common cause of intestinal bloating, irregularity, gasiness, and cramps. While it has no known organic cause, the condition may be aggravated by emotional stress and other typical factors.
The American Gastroenterological Association mentions these common triggers of IBS:
- Eating foods that produce excess gas.
- Taking certain medications that can trigger colon spasms.
- Drinking too much alcohol.
- Drinking chocolate milk.
- Consuming caffeine.
- Menstruating among women.
- New Drug May Treat Constipation Caused by Strong Painkillers
June 09, 2014
- Entyvio Approved for Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's Disease
May 20, 2014
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.