Health Tip: Causes of Failure to Thrive in Babies
Typical reasons for this condition
(HealthDay News) -- "Failure to thrive" occurs among infants who don't grow and gain weight as quickly as they should.
The Nemours Foundation mentions these possible causes of failure to thrive:
- Parents aren't feeding babies enough food or frequently enough.
- Medical conditions such as GERD, celiac disease or cystic fibrosis.
- A physical abnormality such as a cleft lip that makes it difficult for a child to eat.
- A medical condition, such as a cardiac, respiratory or endocrine disorder.
- A milk protein intolerance.
- An infection.
- A metabolic disorder that affects how a baby breaks down and processes food.
- Tips for Safe Trick-or-Treating
October 25, 2014
- Researchers Say Antibiotics in Fish a Health Concern
October 24, 2014
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.