Health Tip: Focus on Preconception Health
Suggestions to prepare for pregnancy
(HealthDay News) -- Taking steps to better your health before you or your partner becomes pregnant can help ensure a healthier pregnancy.
The womenshealth.gov website offers this preconception advice:
- Take a daily supplement that contains at least 400 micrograms to 800 micrograms of folic acid.
- Quit drinking alcohol and smoking.
- Make sure any chronic health condition, such as diabetes, asthma, epilepsy or obesity, is well-controlled.
- Get any necessary vaccinations.
- Discuss any over-the-counter or prescription medications that you're taking with your doctor.
- Stay away from toxic substances.
- Avoid animal feces that could lead to infection.
- Alcohol Near Start of Pregnancy Linked to Premature Babies
March 10, 2014
- Hospital Policy Spurs New Moms to Get Whooping Cough Shot
March 06, 2014
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.