Health Tip: Focus on Preconception Health
Suggestions to prepare for pregnancy
(HealthDay News) -- Taking steps to better your health before you or your partner becomes pregnant can help ensure a healthier pregnancy.
The womenshealth.gov website offers this preconception advice:
- Take a daily supplement that contains at least 400 micrograms to 800 micrograms of folic acid.
- Quit drinking alcohol and smoking.
- Make sure any chronic health condition, such as diabetes, asthma, epilepsy or obesity, is well-controlled.
- Get any necessary vaccinations.
- Discuss any over-the-counter or prescription medications that you're taking with your doctor.
- Stay away from toxic substances.
- Avoid animal feces that could lead to infection.
- Administration Offers New Rules for Religious Objections to Health Care Law
August 22, 2014
- Preemies' Thinking Skills May Catch Up by Adolescence
August 12, 2014
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.