Health Tip: Pack Your Holiday Leftovers Carefully
And avoid foodborne illness
(HealthDay News) -- When packing up your holiday leftovers, make sure they're properly stored to prevent foodborne illness.
The American Dietetic Association offers these suggestions for safe storage of your holiday leftovers:
- Make sure all storage containers are airtight and shallow.
- Place all leftovers in the refrigerator within two hours of cooking.
- Pull turkey off the bone and package it separately from stuffing and gravy.
- Eat refrigerated turkey, casseroles or cooked vegetables within three or four days; eat stuffing or gravy within one or two days.
- Eat pies made with cream or fruit within two or three days; cheesecake within seven days.
- Make sure leftovers are reheated to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If in doubt, throw it out.
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.