Health Tip: Easy on the Holiday Buffets
Some simple suggestions to limit calories
(HealthDay News) -- Too many holiday party buffet tables loaded with decadent treats can lead to overstuffed plates -- and overstuffed pants.
The Cleveland Clinic offers these suggestions to limit your calorie intake when you hit the holiday buffet:
- Fill a small plate with fresh veggies, taking care to limit or avoid buttery crackers, creamy spreads and dips, meat and cheese. Avoid seconds.
- Skip sauces, or choose those that are vegetable- or broth-based instead of creamy sauces or gravies.
- Stick to lighter desserts such as fruit, Jell-O, angel food cake or gingersnaps -- if you have to have a decadent dessert, make it a very small serving.
- Limit yourself to one to two drinks, and choose low-calorie drinks like wine or beer.
- Choose calorie-free non-alcoholic drinks like unsweetened tea, coffee, hot tea or water.
- Health Tip: Go Easy on the Gravy
December 11, 2013
- Potentially Helpful Omega-3 Fatty Acids Can Cross to Brain: Study
December 10, 2013
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.