Health Tip: Keep Diabetes in Check During the Holidays
Prepare for the festivities
(HealthDay News) -- Holiday parties, desserts and buffets can throw your diabetes meal plan way off-track.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests how to enjoy the holidays if you're diabetic:
- Enjoy a healthy snack before you go to a party, or pack one to take with you.
- Have small portions from the holiday buffet, and make your table far away from the food.
- Stick to low-calorie drinks, and limit alcohol to one drink a day for women, or two drinks a day for men.
- Skip poultry with skin, ham with a honey glaze, and creamy side dishes and sauces.
- Opt for veggie-based, light side dishes, especially fresh vegetables.
- Enjoy fresh fruit, instead of a piece of pie.
- Make socializing with friends and family the focus of the season, rather than food.
- Dieters May Be Thwarted by Absence of Healthy Foods
October 18, 2014
- Frequent Dining Out Might Widen Your Waistline, Study Finds
October 17, 2014
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.