Health Tip: Prevent Falls During Holiday Decorating
Suggestions to reduce your risk
(HealthDay News) -- Whether you're decorating your home or climbing to stash holiday packages, take care to avoid falls.
Falls are a leading cause of injury among older people. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons suggests how you can help prevent them:
- If you use a ladder, make sure it's of the correct type and height for the job.
- Check out the ladder before use to make sure there is no damage and nothing is broken.
- Carry the ladder carefully.
- Place the ladder in a stable, safe position before you start climbing.
- Take care to hold onto the rails, avoid standing on the top rung and don't reach too far to the side.
- Do not climb a ladder if you feel tired or dizzy, or have been drinking alcohol.
- Certain Sedatives Tied to Breathing Problems in Older COPD Patients
April 18, 2014
- Low Birth Weight, Lack of Breast-Feeding Tied to Inflammation Risk in Adulthood
April 17, 2014
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.