Health Tip: Discuss Weight With Your Child
Teach good habits and a healthy approach
(HealthDay News) -- Talking about weight with your child can be difficult, but it's important to foster a healthy attitude toward weight and eating.
The American Dietetic Association offers these suggestions for having this discussion:
- If your son or daughter is overweight, encourage the child to take action to lose weight. Take steps toward this end as a family, so your child doesn't feel isolated.
- Never bribe or punish your child to lose weight.
- Make sure both parents and other family members agree on how to best handle weight issues, so the message to the child is clear and consistent.
- Talk to your child's doctor about weight.
- Seek help from local programs or professionals who can help your child deal with weight issues.
- Health Tip: Help Keep Teen Drivers Safe
May 20, 2013
- Health Tip: Help Children Eat Healthier
May 20, 2013
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.