Health Tip: Help Calm a Cough
Here's what you can do
(HealthDay News) -- If you're plagued with a cold or another respiratory illness that's causing a cough, there are things you can do to help tame the beast.
The National Heart Lung and Blood Institute offers these suggestions to help calm a cough:
- Quit smoking.
- Steer clear of substances that can irritate the lungs and worsen a cough, such as air pollution, tobacco smoke, allergens and strong odors.
- Take all medications as prescribed by your doctor.
- Follow your doctor's treatment plan.
- Take cough medicine, if recommended by your doctor.
- Run a cool-mist humidifier or steam vaporizer.
- Some Lung Patients Buy Cigarettes Along With Meds at Pharmacies: Study
October 20, 2014
- Docs Offer Advice for Combating Respiratory Virus That's Striking Kids
October 03, 2014
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.