Health Tip: Caring for Minor Burns
Suggestions to help you heal
(HealthDay News) -- Minor burns, although painful, often can be treated at home. Proper care can help them heal faster while reducing the risk of infection.
The American Academy of Family Physicians suggests how to care for a minor burn:
- Soak the burned skin in cool water for a minimum of five minutes to help limit swelling.
- Coat the burned area with a protective healing agent, such as an antibiotic ointment or aloe vera.
- Wrap a dry gauze bandage loosely around the burn area for protection from air and infection.
- If needed, take an over-the-counter pain-relieving medication.
- Prevent Home Heating From Becoming a Safety Hazard
December 01, 2013
- Health Tip: Caring for a Minor Burn
November 05, 2013
Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.