Health Tip: Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

(HealthDay News) -- Carbon monoxide (CO) is a toxic gas that you can't see or smell, but it can kill people and animals if a leak isn't detected quickly.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says here's what you can do to help reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Have any coal-burning, oil or gas appliances or heating systems serviced annually by a qualified technician.

  • Make sure your home has a working, battery-operated carbon monoxide detector; change batteries twice each year when the time changes.

  • If your detector sounds or if you have any symptoms of CO poisoning (such as nausea, dizziness or light-headedness), leave the home immediately and call 911.

  • Don't use any appliance or device that burns gasoline or charcoal inside your home or near an open window.

  • Never let your car run inside a garage, even with the garage door open.

  • Never use a gas oven to heat your home, and never use a fireplace or stove that isn't vented.

Related Articles

Learn More About Sharp
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with seven hospitals, two medical groups and a health plan. Learn more about our San Diego hospitals, choose a Sharp-affiliated San Diego doctor or browse our comprehensive medical services.

Health News is provided as a service to Sharp Web site users by HealthDay. Sharp HealthCare nor its employees, agents, or contractors, review, control, or take responsibility for the content of these articles. Please read the Terms of Use for more information.