Sharp HealthCare values its relationship with local media and we look forward to working with you to educate our community about important health issues. Following is a compilation of current health care topics.
Please contact Erica Carlson at Erica.Carlson@sharp.com if you are interested in speaking with one of our affiliated physicians or clinicians. To learn more about Sharp, please visit our Press Center.
Inside Sharp HealthCare
- Cancer Screening Event — It's estimated that one in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime. Sharp Chula Vista will host its annual Women's Cancer Expo on July 28 at the new $36 million Douglas & Nancy Barnhart Cancer Center, which opened its doors in June. The event will feature free clinical breast exams and mammograms, healthy food, exercise demonstrations, booths and more. Dr. Marilyn S. Norton, medical director of infusion therapy at the new Barnhart Cancer Center, is available to discuss the event, the new facility and the importance of early breast cancer detection. A breast cancer survivor is also available for interviews.
- Chronic Knee Pain — Sharp Coronado Hospital is San Diego's only hospital to offer an exciting new advancement in treatment of chronic knee pain. Using new robotic arm–assisted technology and 3-D modeling, doctors precisely remove only the painful, arthritic parts of the knee — preserving your natural joint motion. A Sharp-affiliated orthopedic surgeon is available to discuss this new procedure.
National Trends Localized
- Rising Cases of Diabetic Retinopathy — According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, almost 26 million people in the U.S. have diabetes. This epidemic is a major cause of the stark increase of adults with diabetic retinopathy — the leading cause of blindness in adults. A Sharp-affiliated physician is available to discuss this condition and how diabetes affects it.
- Take Your Pills — Studies show that only 25 to 30 percent of medications are taken properly. Whether its forgetfulness or assuming you no longer need a medication due to lack of symptoms, it is dangerous to not take a medication as directed. A Sharp-affiliated physician is available to discuss the importance of following the instructions on your medications.
- Women's Sports Injuries — How to Protect Your Joints — Knee injuries, ankle sprains and shin splints are some of the most common sports injuries in women. Women are also six times more likely than men to experience a sports-related tear in their anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), the major stabilizing ligament in the knee. A physical therapist from Sharp Grossmont Hospital is available to discuss why women are more vulnerable to knee injuries and ways to help reduce the risk.
Important Health Dates
- Busy Bod — It's summertime, which means children are out of school, vacations are planned and parents are busy! A dietitian from Sharp Weight Management and Health Education is available to give tips on how to maintain your weight during busy times of the year and also provide examples of healthy meals on the go.
- Cord Blood Banking — Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns offers San Diego's only public cord banking where people can donate their cord blood for free. For Cord Blood Awareness Month in July, a Sharp-affiliated physician is available to discuss this program and the medical value of such a donation.
- Therapeutic Recreation — July 8 through 14 is National Therapeutic Recreation Week. A Sharp-affiliated therapist is available to discuss the importance of having therapeutic recreation programs for the disabled and what programs in particular Sharp offers.