Here are the latest Sharp news and events, national health trends and November observances. Sharp experts are available to discuss the following topics. Please contact Erica Carlson at Erica.Carlson@sharp.com to schedule an interview.
Inside Sharp HealthCare
- 11/11/11 — A Very Special Birthday — The date 11/11/11 is numerically interesting for everyone, but for some new parents at Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns, that date will bring particularly special meaning when it marks the birth of their baby. Many adorable photo opportunities will be available as babies born on this day will be wearing special "11/11/11" onesies. Their happy parents will also be available for interview on 11/11/11.
- Cancer-Fighting Foods for the Holidays — It's no secret that what you eat — and don't eat — has a powerful effect on your health, including your risk for cancer. Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center is hosting a free seminar and cooking demonstration on Nov. 9 by Lynne Schatzlein, a registered dietitian. Lynne is available prior to the seminar to do an in-studio cooking demonstration and offer tips on how to create a diet rich in cancer-fighting foods using some of the most delicious flavors of the holiday season.
- Speaking of Women's Health Conference — Sharp HealthCare will host the 21st annual Speaking of Women's Health Conference on Nov. 19 from 7 am to 4 pm at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina. The interactive conference addresses specific health concerns of women through a compilation of speakers, free health screenings and assessments, exhibits, informative sessions on health and fitness and more. Keynote speakers and event representatives are available for interview.
National Trends Localized
- Benefits of Gastric Bypass Surgery — According to a study in The Archives of Surgery, gastric bypass surgery is also beneficial for patients' overweight families because they tend to lose similar amounts of weight as the actual patients. A Sharp-affiliated physician is available to discuss how this surgery can be used to change the health of an entire family.
- Limits on Video Media for Children — According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, parents of infants should limit their children's video screen exposure, even if it is considered educational material. A Sharp-affiliated pediatrician is available to discuss how the learning benefits of real interactions with people and things are far superior to those from video screens, especially for children under the age of two.
- Mammogram Controversy — According to a study in the Annals of Internal Medicine, women should get mammogram screenings every two years rather than every year because this decreases the amount of false positives and therefore the related stress of having to return for a second appointment. A Sharp-affiliated oncologist is available to explain the importance of negating the one-size-fits-all approach to mammogram screenings and breast cancer.
Important Health Dates
- American Diabetes Month — November is National American Diabetes Month. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, someone is diagnosed with diabetes every 17 seconds, and by 2050 one in three Americans will be affected by the disease. A Sharp-affiliated physician is available to discuss the risk factors, symptoms, treatment options and importance of preventative measures.
- Lung Cancer Awareness Month — November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month. According to the American Lung Association, lung cancer is the most common cause of cancer death. A Sharp-affiliated oncologist is available to discuss both the physical and emotional challenges associated with this type of cancer and also risk factors, symptoms and treatment options.
- National Hospice & Palliative Care Month — November is National Hospice and Palliative Care Month. Sharp HospiceCare has been caring for patients with life-limiting illnesses and their loved ones since 1991. A Sharp HospiceCare representative is available to share the program's approach to pain relief, daily comfort and closure.