- 1 cup red (or white) millet
- 3 cups water
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup hazelnut oil (or any nut oil)
- 1 cucumber
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1/2 cup diced red and yellow bell peppers
- 1 orange, cut into segments
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Parsley, to taste
Cook the millet in 3 cups of water until all water is absorbed, 30 to 45 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool slightly. Peel cucumber. Cut in half lengthwise. Use teaspoon to remove seeds. Cut crosswise in to ¼-inch slices. Transfer cucumbers to mixing bowl. Toss with ¼ teaspoon sea salt. Cure for 10 minutes. Drain in colander. Combine the honey, sherry vinegar and hazelnut oil in large mixing bowl. Add millet, cucumbers and remaining ingredients. Toss well. Season to taste with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and parsley. Transfer to serving bowl.
Recipe courtesy Executive Chef Bernard Guillas, The Marine Room, La Jolla.
Find more healthy recipes.
For More Information
To learn more about Sharp's nutrition services or to find a Sharp-affiliated physician, search for San Diego doctors or call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277), Monday through Friday, 8 am to 6 pm. To find general information about nutrition, read the Nutrition News archive.